Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

I merely describe my experience. I'm quite happy in 1GB on a headless
LAMP server, but with a gui (xcfe) on a laptop and tasks open across
the Internet I feel less constrained if I have 16GB. Here's a snapshot
of my present state - https://pastebin.com/1cgP36rC - and that's 10GB
of core memory in use by anyone's estimation. What I do on a smaller
machine is close tasks, restart tasks, and tolerate occasional slow
moments. I prefer not to.

I can see Mint Ulyana, Brave and Firefox, 70 tabs open, calibre, an
assortment of libreoffice jobs, gftp, hexchat, a few terminals.
Nothing extreme. Firefox has several thousand bookmarks and the
history may go back a couple of months. The only extensions are the
standards: NoScript and UBlock.

I stand by my advice, though at £400-500 I can see some might prefer
to pare it down. On the other hand it's good for ten years, in my
estimation, a pound a week, and I've kept machines in use that long
before. It's less money than an Internet connection.