[LUG] KDE Plasma

My distro, MX Linux, has now made KDE Plasma available as an option instead of the default, Xfce. I have used Kubuntu in the past, but moved on many years ago.

I have done some research about this but, as ever, am still a bit unsure. So, is this plasma thingy available with KDE only? And what the heck is it anyway? From what I have read it just seems to be a fancy DE. Or am I, as so often, missing something here?

Thanks,

Neil