Re: [LUG] KDE Plasma

On 25/08/2020 12:21, Neil wrote:
> My distro, MX Linux, has now made KDE Plasma available as an option
> instead of  the default, Xfce. I have used Kubuntu in the past, but
> moved on many years ago.
>
> I have done some research about this but,  as ever, am still a bit
> unsure. So, is this plasma thingy available with KDE only? And what the
> heck is it anyway? From what I have read it just seems to be a fancy DE.
> Or am I, as so often, missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

definition:
KDE Plasma 5 is the fifth and current generation of the graphical
workspaces environment created by KDE primarily for Linux systems. KDE
Plasma 5 is the successor of KDE Plasma 4 and was first released on 15
July 2014. It includes a new default theme, known as "Breeze", as well
as increased convergence across different devices. The graphical
interface was fully migrated to QML, which uses OpenGL for hardware
acceleration, which resulted in better performance and reduced power
consumption.

Available on openSUSE in three (3) forms

KDE Plasma    (uses X Windows System)

KDE Plasma (Wayland)  Uses openSUSE with 'part' Wayland in place of X

KDE Plasma (Full Wayland)  Uses Wayland and not X Windows system

Its KDE's Default Desktop Environment. Very customisable.

Some like to organise their DE to very specific things.
It can be a blank DE (No icons/widgets) or many desktops with different
set of widgets and tool bars on each one.

I find it Ok for my purposes, but have laptop set up to use XFCE or KDE

--
regards
Eion MacDonald