Re: [LUG] Lug meet Saturday

On Sun Aug 23, 2020 at 7:06 PM BST, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Looks like there are also a few interesting projects especially one to
> make all gtk apps under Gnome so they fit on screens of different sizes
> properly (what was the name of the project to do that again ?), oh and a
> discussion on pinebooks, Intel processor problems quite a lot more. I
> was a way for some parts of this.

The project is called "Libhandy". It was originally being managed by Purism, but
it's been upstreamed into GNOME directly for GTK 4. The repository can be found
here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libhandy/

There is an equivalent project in KDE called Kirigami
https://kde.org/products/kirigami/. It's a bit more mature but is more focused on
scaling up mobile apps to desktop (sort of like what they did with Discover) rather
than the other way around from what I've heard. With the Pinephone and Librem 5
we'll probably be seeing a lot more of these!

There was a really interesting post about decision to try to adapt GNOME for mobile
interfaces, as well as the difficulties it's introduced. Well worth a read if you're
interested in the work that's currently ongoing in the mobile GNU/Linux space:
https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2020/08/05/advantages-of-phosh/

Ciarán