Re: [LUG] thunderbirds are go

> According to the feedback responses on the Thunderbird website the reason
> verson 78 hasn't been  pushed out is because distro maintainers have been
> asked not to yet.
>
> They're waiting for third party add on developers to rewrite code to be
> compatible before pushing out the new update to everyone.
>
> From Ryan Sipes  in response to someone who updated "we have said a number
> of times that people shouldn’t update until later if they rely heavily on
> add-ons or Enigmail. Are you on Linux? Some distro maintainers have included
> 78 in their repos despite our warnings."
>
> Ray.

I can not make much sense out of Mozilla's numbering scheme for
Thunderbird versions -
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/releases/

What seems especially strange about this jump is that this leaves
people thinking that they are suddenly a year out of date if the user
is expecting a Firefox style set-up, where versions are consistently
released every month or two.

Also, I feel sorry for the distro maintainers who must have to
repeatedly explain why the latest version is not included yet... And
that is if they are even asked; I imagine that many users abandon
distributions because of a small issue like that.

The Blender Foundation, however, has been very wise with the roll out of
their new UI and keymaps. They synchronised this with the release of
2.80 - a nice easy number to distinguish from the 2.7x releases of the
last five years.

Best wishes, Sebastian