Re: [LUG] thunderbirds are go

On 11/08/2020 09:55, Tom via list wrote:
> On 10/08/2020 19:11, Ray Smith via list wrote:

>> <snip>
>>

>>> Even the two 'modern' appstore type distribution mechanisms Linux now
>>> has which should be perfect for releasing self contained binary
>>> updates (Flatpak and Snap) still have v68 until you pass --beta or
>>> --unstable flags.
>>>
>>> Note that this isn't a regular Thunderbird update to be fair - the
>>> sudden jump from the previous release version 68 to current version
>>> 78 is significant and represents the first major overhaul of
>>> Thunderbird code for a while:
>>>

>> According to the feedback responses on the Thunderbird website the
>> reason verson 78 hasn't been  pushed out is because distro maintainers
>> have been asked not to yet.
>>
>> They're waiting for third party add on developers to rewrite code to
>> be compatible before pushing out the new update to everyone.
>>
>> From Ryan Sipes  in response to someone who updated "we have said a
>> number of times that people shouldn’t update until later if they rely
>> heavily on add-ons or Enigmail. Are you on Linux? Some distro
>> maintainers have included 78 in their repos despite our warnings."
>>
>> Ray.
>>

> Absolutely devastating to have your Thunderbird updated and lose
> calendar connections for a week or so!
>
> Tom te tom te tom

If the benefits of the upgrade (my extensions are now no longer needed)
 do not outweigh the pain (losing calendar for x weeks), why would you
upgrade?

I love the latest versions of things, but in this instance I'm happy to
wait...

--
Kind regards,

Mark Smith
juglugs.com

PGP fingerprint: FE57 FF27 C090 186C BFDE EF8B 9502 6421 F69F 0742