Re: [LUG] thunderbirds are go

On 10/08/2020 10:01, Eion MacDonald wrote:
openSUSE LEAP 15.2 is just on Thunderbird 68.10.

Well LEAP is the conservative release channel for SUSE so only to be expected (it's not in rolling release Tumbleweed yet though either which is more surprising).

Thunderbird is one of the weird packages that always seems to take an incredibly long time for distros to package up - v78 was a day one release on Windows and MacOS and the tar ball style Linux installers were also up straight away but nobody wants to use them. Even Arch still has Thunderbird 78 packaged as "beta" in the AUR - which it isn't - and it's pretty much unheard of for Arch of all Linux flavours not to be fully up to date. God only knows how long Ubuntu will take to package it correctly and nobody has even put up a PPA yet. I backported it from groovy-proposed where it only exists in the sources - even Debian Sid don't have it yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even the two 'modern' appstore type distribution mechanisms Linux now has which should be perfect for releasing self contained binary updates (Flatpak and Snap) still have v68 until you pass --beta or --unstable flags.

Note that this isn't a regular Thunderbird update to be fair - the sudden jump from the previous release version 68 to current version 78 is significant and represents the first major overhaul of Thunderbird code for a while:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/78.0/releasenotes/

For me the sweet spot in operating systems is a rock solid and relatively boring base system - I love a good stable release like Debian or OpenBSD for example - with specific parts bumped up to the very latest and greatest. I don't backport or package software just for fun after all, in all cases if I'm having to resort to building it myself it's for a reason. Usually much more advanced features or driver support, very frequently performance tuning related. The list of essential subsystems I have to now maintain for myself and client systems is getting increasingly long though:

Kernel
ZFS
uksmd
mpv
ffmpeg
eBPF
media-build (drivers)
exfatprogs
Thunderbird
zenpower/zenmonitor (AMD Zen drivers)
vmware (modified kernel modules for MacOS and latest kernel support)
dxvk (Vulkan graphics drivers)
maltrail
plan9port
scrcpy
sanoid

This is expected work for a sysadmin so I'm not grumbling - it's literally my job to provide the systems that clients need to do $JOB at maximum efficiency after all (note how nearly everything I package is oriented towards multimedia/dev workstation systems and servers).

Still toying with the idea of setting up a proper PPA for my packages for general consumption. Would anyone be interested in doing some beta release testing if I set it up in private beta mode and restrict it to invites-only initially?