Re: [LUG] Electric car charger setup requires network connection - advice sought

On 23/07/2020 19:00, Brad Rogers wrote:
Hello,

I'm in the process of having an electric car charger installation fitted.
So far, quotes are coming in.  Given my choice of charger, a network
connection is required. Suppliers expect to be able to connect to my
router (too far away, through several walls, and god knows what).

I have a wifi extender well within range of the area that the control
gear for where the charger is going (in fact, solar panel controls use it
already).  What I don't have in the area is an ethernet port to plug the
new equipment into.  I'm hoping to avoid some tricky cable running (I
can do it, but it'll be a PITA), so am looking for something that will
allow me to connect it to the equipment hub, rather than a router or
switch.  I don't wish to buy (for example) something like
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08C9WDQ2J?pf_rd_r=JMXRV9SQK60WCB6EFWB7&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e
if it's not suitable for my needs.

What I'm looking to do is this;

|-this part already exists-|    |---this is the new part--|
Router-netcable-wifiadapter --- wifiadapter-netcable-equipt

Will the above type of adapter suffice, or do I need to look for
something else?

There are power sockets easily accessible where the new control gear is
to be located, so that's not an issue.

Alternatively, could I use 'ethernet over mains' gear?  Even if the
router and new equipment are on different ring circuits?

As the subject says, advice is sought.  All help greatly appreciated.

Personally I would use a PowerLAN adaptor as you say there are power sockets available. You'd need one the other end of course able to connect to the network. One question on that.. is the router location and your garage on the same mains circuit? If not I don't think it will work although I am not an electrician.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley