Re: [LUG] Electric car charger setup requires network connection - advice sought

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 23:48:59 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

>Personally I would use a PowerLAN adaptor as you say there are power
>sockets available. You'd need one the other end of course able to

As I've already got some of the necessary gear for wifi conversion, I'll
try that first.  If unsuccessful, I'll try the LAN over power option.

>connect to the network. One question on that.. is the router location
>and your garage on the same mains circuit? If not I don't think it will

They're not, and theoretically (IOW, based on IEE regs) they can't be;
Router is connected to the ring cct upstairs, and the sockets near the
meter & consumer unit are on a ground floor circuit, protected by an
RCD.  I vaguely recall reading something about difficulties using the
technology across circuits in this way, but I might be misremembering.
To me, it makes no sense because one couldn't control lighting (I don't
mean table lamps, bedside etc. that plug into a ring main, but lighting
on a dedicated lighting circuit.) in this way if that was correct.

I also note the Peter says his worked without problem.  Reading his
message k]makes me think I might be mis-remembering what I read, and it
was about neighbours piking stuff up.  Potentially they could, but would
almost certainly have to be on the same phase for it to be a possibility.

Thank you, in no particular order, comrade, Julian and Peter, for your
input.  Most illuminating.

--
 Regards  _
Save me from everybody else