Re: [LUG] Systemd

On 22/05/2020 08:33, Neil wrote:
> On 21/05/2020 13:59, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> I just go with the flow, using a 'stable' openSUSE LEAP 15.1 at present,
>>   it uses systemd, or so they tell me, I have never checked.
>> I find no problem since they switched over form init V as default a long
>> time ago.
>> So for my use, as not a coder and not a developer and not a packager it
>> seems irrelevant. Although I understand the "old principle" of "do only
>> one thing and do that one thing well', compared to larger multi-things
>> in systemd
>>
>> To me old "SuSE 9" used init, then they changed in version openSUSE 12 I
>> think, or thereabouts some years ago, but I have never had to worry
>> about it. I assume the distribution compilers and their folk know what
>> they are doing to give a stable system sold as "SUSE" while we free
>> users on 'openSUSE" are slightly ahead in some things, but recently they
>> have tied the code of commercial SUSE more closely to  free openSUSE.
>>
> Thanks. I asked because I use MX  Linux which uses sysV. A friend is
> waiting for all this covid stuff to finish so that I can get him on to
> Linux. I am considering Linux Lite as a suitable distro for him, and
> that uses systemd.
>
> I will just go ahead and ignore all the stuff on line about it.
>
> Neil

 I use Linux Lite for old machines (vista era) in the pupils (aged 60+0
I teach/help/tutor. Most have no problem.
Some go with Xubuntu LTS, as i am unable to update each year do distance.
It usually takes a while for them to get used to Firefox, and so they
can do their wee videos on BBC etc, I sometimes put on Google Chromium.

VLC is useful for them.

I hope this helps.

--
regards