Re: [LUG] Firefox Browser

On 28/04/2020 14:54, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:17:16 +0100
> Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Neil,
>
>> Which is what I did. Mainly I use Palemoon, sometimes Vivaldi.
>
> PM here, too.  Tried Vivaldi, didn't like it.  Same for Chrome.
>
> FF-ESR is available in Debian Testing, but I've not had to use it in....
> years.
>
> Why anyone bothers with ESR (inc. Mozilla) puzzles me;  Most web sites
> that care (mostly Amazon, Netflix, etc. IME), want something much newer
> anyway.

Official opinion is
quote
Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) is an official version of Firefox
developed for large organizations like universities and businesses that
need to set up and maintain Firefox on a large scale. Firefox ESR does
not come with the latest features but *it has the latest security and
stability fixes*.
Unquote

Also, It is a way i can support elderly and non computer literate
persons with a safe browser.
So I usually install Firefox ESR on their machines.
It removes all sorts of problems when supporting, elderly, (memory not
so good) or young (think autistic spectrum) on along term basis.

There is a big justification for Firefox ESR.

Your websites will work on this, and also on text only browsers (most
USA websites I visit default to pure text only when I refuse their
'trace me / sign in'  links,, likewise with some EU sites who only show
graphics if you accept tracing and adverts.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald