[LUG] OT: *#@**#@ Kindle

Just a rant to ease my feelings. The latest kindles are a nice bit of hardware but what a *** rubbish piece of software they come with. I believe it is based on the Linux kernel but Amazon have done everything in their power to lock you into their buying system. And the most frustrating thing is, I can't find any way round it. I have a lot of Ebooks, some bought from Amazon, others from other places including a lot of free books. I use Calibre and the first thing I do is strip out the DRM. Easy to transfer books to the Kindle from Calibre and then the problems start. It really hit me recently when my wife got a new Kindle and I had to load it with a lot of books. This was our 5th kindle and our Amazon account has a lot of history.

If you just put the books on it is a nightmare to find anything. So you organise them into collections. Then the problems start because this process is not easy. As part of the set up process you connect the Kindle to your Amazon account. If you are connected to wifi then it will download books you already have to the Kindle and organise them into collections. Good so far. You then load lots of other books.  Lets say you are organising into author collections. You look for an author and it isn't there so you create one. And it says you already have that author in the cloud so you can't. So you look for a method to download and there isn't one. So you fanny around for a while and it suddenly appears. So you open it and go to "add books" and you plough through all 200 books you have loaded and add the ones you want. Then go to another collection to add books and plough through the 200 books you have loaded and add the ones you want. And so on. Are there any you have missed? Who knows? There is no way of telling. No sensible, easy to use file manager.

So, lets disconnect from the Amazon account and use the reader in isolation to stop Amazon messing with your head. Oh, look, all the books have been removed from your kindle and there is no way you can continue using it. In the end I ploughed on with Amazon's cack handed software and loaded about 1000 books over the course of 3 days. There are supposed to be ways of making Calibre do the organising but I haven't been able to get it working in Linux. And Google isn't my friend in this case.

Otherwise, not a bad lockdown.