Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi Ventilator

On 15/04/2020 09:05, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Interesting news this morning: in FT
>
> "Ventilator standards set out for UK makers ‘of no use’ to Covid patients"
>
>      The minimum specification for the UK’s homegrown hospital ventilator
> programme will not produce machines suitable for treating coronavirus patients,
> the head of the largest organisation for critical care medical professionals has
> said.
>
>     Alison Pittard, the dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the
> professional body for intensive care practitioners, said the government’s request
> for ventilators that would — at a minimum — stabilise patients “for a few hours”
> was not in line with what was requested by medical experts last month.
>
> I think engineers  / programmers can work miracles but not if the payors, the
> users and the developers are speaking three different languages.

Morning,

I only discovered this LUG yesterday (after seeing an Anglian LUG site),
so I may have missed a couple of emails on this thread, but it's sparked
my interest.

Here is the latest specification from UK.gov on RMVSs (Rapidly
Manufactured Ventilator Systems):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/specification-for-ventilators-to-be-used-in-uk-hospitals-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

I think the Raspberry Pi is an excellent candidate for the control and
management system, but considering the requirements for software in
medical devices (BS EN 62304:2006+A1:2015 Medical device software) and
the requirements in Appendix C of the above spec, I'd be looking at the
Pi as the HMI, monitoring and alarms sub-system.

A non-networked Pi is no more hackable than the gas or mechanical
systems...

--
Kind regards,

*Mark Smith*