Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 09/04/2020 23:14, comrade meowski wrote:
On 09/04/2020 23:06, Julian Hall wrote:
This sent by WIRELESS Internet connection!! Even before I rebooted I plugged it in and a blue light started flashing which has never happened before! Network connections showed my WiFi networks (I also have a Guest network), so I rebooted, popped in my password, turned off the Ethernet and Bob's your father's brother! Technically my granddad but I digress!

You sir are a genius, and a very very patient one at that! Thank you ever so much, I really needed a win in /something/ of late... this is brilliant!

Finally! I'm not that smart chief or I would have got it right first time haha.
We all have those days.. witness my earlier email about wondering why my wireless keyboard wouldn't work, then realising I had a BLUETOOTH dongle and it is a WIFI keyboard. DOH! After that I ssh'd in as I should have to start with.
Over the next day or two watch it like a hawk for reliability of course but you'll certainly notice if it's flaky I imagine. Is it on the 5GHz channel instead of 2.4GHz? After all that, what does this give you now:

* nmcli device status BLAH

where blah is the newly assigned interface name.

wlxa85e45f3ca6b: renamed from wlan0 <-- I thought the new concept was to name network connections something /meaningful/?

DEVICE           TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION
wlxa85e45f3ca6b  wifi      connected    Auto OLYMPUS5
enp0s10          ethernet  unavailable  --
lo               loopback  unmanaged    --

Being unimaginative as the 2.4Ghz network is OLYMPUS I called the 5Ghz network OLYMPUS5, and yes it is now working.. in fact data transfer rates compared to 2.4Ghz seem to fly!

Now let's hide this thread quickly in case any Windows fans see it and start laughing at us. "Linux is totally ready for anyone to use, supports hardware out of the box!"
TBH the only reason it does in Windows is that tens of millions of consumers who use Windows won't buy it if it doesn't. This is a prime example of being prepared to work at it, for which the average user lacks the patience.

Glorious victory one crappy USB adaptor at a time...

Indeedy!

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley