Re: [LUG] Best Video hosting platform

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, Michael Everitt wrote:

On 09/04/20 21:33, Pentiddy wrote:
Thanks Simon,

I actually had not searched on the web... find it all a bit much to take
it all in so was asking if anyone had any helpful suggestions...
Yes, I mind Ads.
The Videos are teaching Aikido exercises, so not pornography...
The videos are likely to be around 2-5minutes long.
They can be mux'd to any format, but guessing mp4 is likely to be the 'best'
I have just uploaded the first to YouTube because it needed to be done,
but I'm happy to look at others- I have no loyalty in that respect, only
my students will be viewing the videos...
It did take nearly 1.5hrs to upload a 4minute video (260Mb). Maybe I can
reduce the size/quality a little as its not porn!

Appreciate your links and response.

Anthony

I think you may find that YouTube re-encodes on the fly to whatever it's
native format is - so your original file size may not matter.
Not 100% on this, but have heard similar.

Bear in-mind that most peoples *DSL upload speed is a fraction of the download speed...

Also note that while you upload a video, youtube has been re-rendering it on the fly as you upload to standard definition (if you upload an HD video) so playing it immediately after, you get their SD version - meanwhile they're feeding it through their massive compute engines to re-encode the HD versions. So they store at least 3 versions of your video - the original upload (which you can no-longer access), and their tweaked/re-tuned SD and the HD versions which they stream.

I'm shooting at 1080p/25fps which is what I upload - for no reason other than it saves some SD card space on the GoPro, extends the battery life (to about 1.5 hours max) and disk space on my PC/Servers...

The GoPro is a bit funny about framerates - if you tell it you're in a 50Hz country, then it only lets you shoot at 25 or 50fps. (however it does fix fluorescent light flicker)

Going from digital camera to video has somewhat shocked my home servers and it was only after I'd casually bought (~£25) and put a 128GB SD card into the GoPro that I realised just what I was holding in my hand..

Gordon