Re: [LUG] Control Systems

On 06/04/2020 08:32, Neil wrote:
> On 05/04/2020 17:40, Simon Avery wrote:
>>
>>     For me, as long as it works, I don't really care.
>>

>> Then use what your distro uses by default. It's probably systemd.
>
> Well, no. As mentioned in an earlier reply, MX Linux 19 installs systemd
> automatically at initial installation, but it is not enabled. So it uses
> sysVinit. So I suppose I could easily move over to systemd, since both
> are installed. That is why I started all this thread.
>

>> Choice is fine, but this is a war that was fought bitterly several
>> years ago and systemd won. There's little to be gained other than
>> perceived moral victories by fighting against such things.
>>
>> I use it for a couple of hundred machines that I tend, and it's fine.
>> Better in many ways.
>>
> I wasn't thinking of moving over to systemd. Just curious about the
> general opinion of it here on the LUG.#
>
> Neil

"systemd" in  use on 3 openSUSE machines, and Ubuntu (standby computers)
and no noticeable difference from previous init system; except
I have not had to rewrite GRUB2 [booting order*] since change over, so
that might be an improvement.
I do not know enough to check such things.

Previously I had to re-set booting order in GRUB some years ago after
each installation, to ensure I  has access to a Windows machine for work
purposes. [Excel macros beloved of my employer's accounts department,
did not play well in OpenOffice, or LibreOffice, and I believe this is
still the case, but not worried about it since ceasing paid contract
activity in Jan 2019.]

--
regards
Eion MacDonald