Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, 15:06 Julian Hall, <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/04/2020 12:14, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020, 22:42 Julian Hall, <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried 'sudo ifconfig enp0s10 down' which correctly knocked the wired
ethernet offline [another bit of Mint weirdness it doesn't use eth0],
however 'sudo ifconfig wlan0 up' gave an error

It took me a bit of getting used to but I now quite like the new network naming scheme.

More details here:

It should now make sense that "wlan0" is not the device you'd need to ifconfig.

Grant

Thanks Grant, I understand now. It looks as if there /is/ no wireless device at all, so I'm totally stumped.

(base) julian@CERCE:~$ iwconfig
enp0s10   no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

I still don't understand what enp0s10 is supposed to mean though. For my purposes eth0 and wlan0 work perfectly well.

Here's a guide:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/networking_guide/sec-understanding_the_predictable_network_interface_device_names

Grant