Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 03/04/2020 22:28, comrade meowski wrote:
On 03/04/2020 22:16, Julian Hall wrote:

Are you sure your repositories are all setup correctly?
As far as I know they are. I update them with every apt-get.

You need to actually check them and not just shrug and say "yeah as far as I know they are"! No wonder you're having issues :/
It's more an assumption as I don't know how to check them, and wouldn't know what to do if they are wrong. Now I do know how to check them, as below.

In short I type up to 'image-' and press TAB and get no autocomplete, nor when I TAB twice. I'm guessing I need to be in a particular directory to execute this command?

How are you going to be "in" the right directory of the remote server servicing your apt install requests? It's not a local resource you're doing path-completion on.
Fair enough. I thought it autocompleted based on the filenames of a local directory I was in.

The fact that even with bash-completion installed you have as-yet-unspecified issues with installing kernels _and_ apt can't autocomplete valid candidate packages definitely points toward repository misconfigurations.

You need to diagnose what's going on with your package sources by the looks of it. Check through sources.list and sources.list.d under /etc/apt and see what's going wrong. Did you install your Mint fresh or just upgrade in place from a previous version?

Clean install after formatting the partition... at least 19.1 was, I /think/ 19.2 and 19.3 updated via apt-get dist-upgrade.

sources.list

#deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 19.2 _Tina_ - Release amd64 20190729]/ bionic contrib main non-free deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib

Which is odd as I have 19.3 running.

/etc/apt/sources.list.d has the following files

nodesource.list

deb https://deb.nodesource.com/node_12.x bionic main
deb-src https://deb.nodesource.com/node_12.x bionic main

nvidia-docker.list

deb https://nvidia.github.io/libnvidia-container/ubuntu18.04/$(ARCH) /
deb https://nvidia.github.io/nvidia-container-runtime/ubuntu18.04/$(ARCH) /
deb https://nvidia.github.io/nvidia-docker/ubuntu18.04/$(ARCH) /

official-package-repositories.list

deb http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/packages.linuxmint.com/packages tricia main upstream import backport

deb http://mirror.as29550.net/archive.ubuntu.com bionic main restricted universe multiverse deb http://mirror.as29550.net/archive.ubuntu.com bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse deb http://mirror.as29550.net/archive.ubuntu.com bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ bionic partner

otto-kesselgulasch-gimp-bionic.list <--- this was to update GIMP to the latest version

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/ubuntu bionic main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/otto-kesselgulasch/gimp/ubuntu bionic main

skype-stable.list

deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main

Straight away I see the sources.list says 'Tina' but the official-package-repositories.list says Tricia.. is /that/ the problem?

Kind regards,

Julian