Re: [LUG] Wife's computer SSH?

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:05:11 +0000
mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello mr,

>missing anything particularly. Brad gave a perfect example of how he
>used to use it to login to other machines around the house just for
>maintenance and upgrading etc - that is quite frankly it's normal role
>for non IT people I suppose.

That's pretty much how I came to install SSH - to make my life easier.
I did on occasion run other stuff.  Most commonly a mail reader, just to
clear /var/mail/brad.  I know I could just go in as root and
'rm /var/mail/brad/*'
but as there were different packages installed on the other machines, it
was handy to read the mails sent during an upgrade that impart info like
changes of behaviour of a package, or moving the default config file
location, and so on, to ensure I hadn't missed some vital bit of info.
If only to stop my son coming up to me and saying "Such-and-such piece
of software doesn't work any more."  He was the one with the esoteric
installs, like Spotify and Steam.  All of which fall outside the
standard Debian repos and Steam can be a right PITA to get going if it
can be installed at all and seems to break on upgrade.

Whilst I miss my son (he only moved out a few months ago), not having to
fart around trying to get stuff going is an absolute godsend.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Don't worry about tomorrow