Re: [LUG] Wife's computer SSH?

On 08/02/20 17:05, mr meowski wrote:
> On 08/02/2020 12:26, Neil wrote:
>> On 08/02/2020 11:39, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> I have never used SSH, and do not know how to.
>>> With on home router only two laptops in main use (openSUSE 15.1) for
>>> wife (WiFI) and self (eth cable) and another very old laptop (eth cable)
>>> used only to keep spare access to emails, but has two hard drives
>>> spinning rust type one with OS, one with very old data on it used
>>> occasional.
>>>
>>> a) I understand security access of SSH, but what other advantage?
>>>
>> I have much the same query. I have a desktop computer and a laptop in my
>> study upstairs (smallest bedroom). My wife has a laptop downstairs. My
>> daughter has a laptop at her home. They all run Linux and I look after
>> them all.
>>
>> I have no need to access any of those computers except physically.
>> Certainly I never need to contact them via the internet. So, unless I am
>> misunderstanding the role of SSH, I do not need it.
>>
>> Or am I missing something here?
>
> You all are. I wouldn't even move from my workstation to type on a
> laptop set next to me on the same desk (seriously). Why would I do that
> when I can stay on my comfortable machine, not bother moving my hands
> from my nice keyboard, my eyes from my nice monitor and my bum from my
> nice chair when SSH will just seamlessly connect them?
>
> Even if you're not an IT professional SSH has a million uses all day
> every day. The whole point of Linux and its parent UNIX is that they
> have always been multi-user network transparent operating systems. I
> would say unlike a certain Redmond based competitor... except even
> Microsoft Windows has had native SSH for years and years now.
>
> To be absolutely clear, for your use cases you're probably not really
> missing anything particularly. Brad gave a perfect example of how he
> used to use it to login to other machines around the house just for
> maintenance and upgrading etc - that is quite frankly it's normal role
> for non IT people I suppose. And very useful too but as he said, he just
> doesn't really need to do that as much so doesn't have much use for it
> any more. Fair enough!
>
> What you're really missing though is if you don't know how to use it and
> don't have it enabled and ready by default, you're squandering one of
> the single most powerful features of not just Linux but any half sane
> computing device. It'll get you out of trouble because it's literally
> the first thing you'll want when stuff goes wrong and the
> troubleshooting begins. This is a Linux mailing list remember, and
> although we all use our Linux systems differently the single most
> powerful and defining feature of all our systems is the shell. A lot of
> you might be abstracted a long way from this and may never really fire
> up a terminal 'cos you use window managers and graphical environments
> for everything which is of course fine.
>
> But the entire raison d'être of UNIX and Linux is to be a network aware
> [...]
*wry smile*

They won't even know about the beauty of SSH tunnelling either ..

Horses for courses though.

(from he who uses his laptop to VNC another workstation for web browsing,
sandboxed, barrier/synergy for using desktop via laptop, and oh so many
remote connections to boxen around the house, and VPS and all the other
'stuff'....)