Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 08/12/2019 16:51, Julian Hall wrote:
> One very simple question. 'How did you /legally/ obtain my phone number
> simply from my IP address?'

I tell them never to speak. As an *old female voice*, tells scammer,
they are a viable subject.

I personally use a variety of answers, (silent, or what company do you
want? or We do not use  Windows computers, can I transfer you to head
office IT person? etc.  This shuts call) but always report to ICO their
telephone number,  time, date etc (even though number may be scammed
into 1471)

I have had one fraud incidence about 2013, when a library user in her
30s, had been scammed out of about GBP six thousand, and talking to her
I identified the scam, [USA based supposedly animal charity wanting
funds] but she refused to co-operate with police [I would be identified
as a fool!]

--
regards
Eion MacDonald