Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 08/12/2019 12:57, Neil wrote:
> When someone learns that I use Linux instead of Windows or Mac, I am
> often asked  why, so far, only a small percentage of people are actively
> using it if, as claimed, it is a superior OS.
>
> Also, sometimes I am asked if I would be willing to teach someone how to
> use it. So far I have found an excuse not to.
>
> I believe that some of the list members do in fact give Linux training.
> If so I would be interested to hear their thoughts on it. To my mind
> there is a lot involved and I would want to do a 'proper job'.
>
> Is this lack of training facilities one thing holding back the uptake of
> Linux?
>
> Neil

Dear folks
20191208
I concur to teaching Linux to those who want to know.
Edited reply based on a previous one by martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I regularly roll out Linux ( Xubuntu or Linux Mint [LTS versions] &
always LIVE KNOPPIX for banking)) to my "Pupils" at library and U3A;
when they are fed up with Windows [usually update problems] OR due age
of computer (no more MS support or security needs) and they do not want
to buy another for their modest needs.

About 7 folk over 6 years. They are generally older folk (60+, 70+ and
80+ [my best pupil is 82 who took to computing at 79 like a duck
learning to swim]).

Training consists of:
0 I have replaced Windows with an alternative system more suited to you!
1 - there's the start button
2 - there's your menu of apps: LibreOffice, Firefox/Chrome,
[Thunderbird  rarely used, as most are used to web browser email
Shortcuts always placed in taskbar and on screen.

3 - this is how you print (Set up printer for them)
4 - this is how you do updates.
Usually set to do automatic updates.
(A couple have mastered and use CLI "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
upgrade" )

NOT DONE:
5 - this is the teamviewer icon. Click it if I ask you to.
5.1  My way. They usually phone me and visit me at library of U3A
meetings if problems, but these are few.

My 7.1 They mostly want to use computer for email, browsing (especially
for doctor surgery appointments etc.) video to grandchildren, I find
Google Chromium with use of Google Hangouts works well as grandchildren
tend to have Android devices.
Usually need to set up a gmail email account for them for this use of
"G-Hangouts"

7.2 Some intensive LibreOffice writer stuff to two folk, one for writing
articles on fishing.
SAVING a back up to USB key is also necessary for photos and written
stuff. Lot  of unbacked up photos emerge in discussion.

7.3  SAFE browsing habits and extensions to Firefox to make them safe.
Local Government demanding payment for extras, garden rubbish collection
etc. NHS surgery requiring internet appointment booking drives then nuts
and scares them.
This is done as a hand holding exercise.
(7.3 and 7.4 Applies to the many older Windows users as well that I teach)

7.4, Some instruction in using "social media" ("Facebook mostly). and
how to handle scam phone calls.
This turns out to be my major input to them as, they are scared by such
calls.

7.5 My way "If you use Linux, then ANY call about your computer or
Microsoft or Amazon Prime is a scam; just put it down"
Some say this is best help as they get a lot of scam "This is Microsoft
.."   calls are received up here in Palatinates.
Almost none use Amazon Prime.

8.  OT. Also update old Windows computers (7, 8.1) to Win10 for those
who cannot do it themselves. This has been a topic these last 3 months.
Folk in their late 70s with a possible only 4 ~5 year life span do not
want to buy new computers.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald