Re: [LUG] Mint 19.x Login Weirdness: SOLVED

On 19/11/2019 12:12, Julian Hall wrote:

> Finally, actually solved. 19.0 didn't like the /home folder - probably
> some 19.2 config. files - so I downloaded a 19.2 iso and put that on a
> USB stick. After a fresh install from that I am now able to log into
> Mint 19.2 with my original login and /home folder.
>
> One wrinkle I discovered along the way; I used my laptop to download the
> iso and that complained about a lack of space on / too. As I hardly use
> it that made me suspicious, and investigation showed that Timeshift had
> been enabled somehow and had take 11Gb(!) of space with backups. I
> disabled it which reclaimed the space, but it's worth noting for Mint 19
> users. When I reinstalled on the desktop I disabled Timeshift straight
> away.

I didn't want to say anything before but yeah, I guess it is kind of
solved now... sort of. You still  never even diagnosed the initial
problem and carpet bombed it out of existence by basically reinstalling
the entire laptop from scratch and copying in some/most of your home
folder contents afterwards. That is not a backup/restore and it's
definitely not fixing the problem either if you see what I mean so
technically you _still_ haven't solved anything!

But you did fix it, and mostly by yourself to be fair, so ultimately you
won in the end. However you have hopefully learned multiple things along
the way:

1: actually diagnose and fix problems properly, don't just nuke the OS
from orbit
2: your backups were good but your restore process was terrible as you
found out to your cost
3: don't just whack random files and repeat in a loop until you
accidentally chance across a bodged fix - see #1
4: don't let arbitrary services eat all your disk space

By the way, do you want to know how you caused the problem in the first
place? It's because you've got a (really, really) bad habit of running
gui apps with sudo or as root. That's how the ownership of your
Xauthority file got borked. Once root owns Xauthority in your home
directory the actual user can no longer access it and that was
preventing your login (using Xorg - tty and ssh still worked because
they don't require it obviously). This is also why journalctl didn't
have any errors to report - technically there weren't any as the systemd
units were still firing correctly and the issue was elsewhere. "cat
/var/log/Xorg.0.log" would have shown this immediately (and I was stupid
for not immediately recommending this - I even knew it was Xorg that was
the issue).

Well live and learn my friend, you did fix it to be fair!