Re: [LUG] Daughter's laptop part 2

On 19/11/2019 13:42, Julian Hall wrote:

I don't like 'the cloud', to be honest for /any/ data storage much less personal data backup;

  • Control; I want to be in full control of /my/ data.
  • Security; Their server will be a much bigger hacker target, and I never know who of their employees can access my data.
  • Access; The big one. What happens if/when I need access to my backups and either their or my network connection is down? This happened recently to my brother at a major UK university - their network was down for an entire day. I have also had outages on my ISP - Virginmedia - which would have prevented me from accessing the data.

I don't like the cloud either, and all your points are valid, though the backup from my NAS does encrypt the individual files, so they are limited to seeing my file system hierarchy and individual file names.

I'm bound by HMRC so I have to be able to produce a certain number of years worth of files, and my dog ate my hard drive doesn't really cut it with HMRC, unfortunately, so cloud backup for those files is what I need to do, it provides me continuity for accounts, and the reason that *insert cloud provider here* lost my data gives me some legal standing in a case.

--
Giles Coochey