Re: [LUG] printer/scanner recommendations

On 17/11/2019 15:28, Tom via list wrote:
> Domestic printer just seems to have died. Wondering if anyone's got
> recommendations for a colour printer/scanner that doesn't cost a fortune
> and is used mainly for B&W but occasional colour homework printing. One
> whose replacement cartridges cost less than the printer would be nice too!

Everyone else has said it and they're right - buy a laser printer. I
asked exactly the same question here a few months back and after a few
false starts with some Ebay auctions I found a good cashback deal on the
exact unit that MJE recommended (HP LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw).

Navigating the HP cashback procedure was painful but with £60 cashback
it came in at under £150 and well, it's exactly what you'd expect.
Boring, reliable, industrial strength. I haven't tested networked
scanning under Linux yet and that's the only thing that hasn't "just
worked" so far - it's definitely easily possible though from a quick
glance at the internet (I did check before I bought one).

It's worth pointing out that these SOHO colour laser units tend to come
with "starter" toner kits good for 1k pages or so rather than the full
capacity but that's still a lot more printing than I probably ever
intend to do on it. A full replacement set is going to cost about the
same as the printer all over again if I ever need it but still cheap at
the cost of never having to worry or complain about hateful budget
inkjet crap ever again.

Best and most boring purchase I've made for a little while. I dislike HP
generally but they do make solid laserjets.

Cheers