Re: [LUG] Daughter's laptop part 2

On 19/11/2019 12:41, Neil wrote:
Thanks for all the help about getting my daughter's laptop replaced. I am in the process of getting a machine built, which should be here soon.

Meanwhile, one of the problems I had was retrieving her old files. I have managed that, so fine. But, of course, the problem was a lack of backups. I am wondering what would be for the best here. I need a program which will run automatically. But would storing in the cloud be best, or on to an external HD? )The files she was most worried about were her photos and videos.)

There must be a lot of experience on the list, so if anyone has any recommendations I will be very grateful.

For onsite backup of files from laptop and desktop I use Ubuntu's duplicity, don't recall installing it, just asked me where to back up to and I pointed it to my Qnap NAS (which is quite old).

I don't actually back up these files from the NAS, because all my important files are on specific NAS shares anyway, and I use a Hybrid Cloud backup utility that is built into the NAS to back up those files to a storage blob in the cloud.

My duplicity backups are currently totalling 484GB, whereas my "important files" backup is 12GB, I'm not sure I would stomach the cost of backing up 484GB to the cloud, and it is an ever increasing value over time, which is pretty useless as I keep all the important files elsewhere, and am unlikely to ever need the duplicity backup.

If you want it to be automatic, then I'd recommend the NAS backup, as otherwise attaching / detaching the HDD would remove the automated part of the process, whereas a backup to NAS when the NAS is available (e.g. the device is connected to your home network), is easier to manage.

You might want to still back up the NAS to somewhere off-site to guard against fire / floods / theft / alien abduction etc...

--
Giles Coochey