Re: [LUG] Mint 19.x Login Weirdness

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 12:03:47 GMT Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the advice thus far, unfortunately the situation has marched
> smartly down the loo since I last posted. I found a website called Easy
> Linux Tips Project with advice on cleaning up a Linux system, but in
> attempting to follow that advice I discovered that / actually had /zero/
> bytes, not the 8Gb which initially seemed available. At that point
> nothing would work so I decided to recover from my rsync backup

In the unhelpful school of what you could have done then....

I think you could have booted from a recovery disk, mount the file system, and
clear out the dross (or if using lvm type system extend the disk if there is a
bit of space somewhere, I knew the swap partition was good for something,
reducing it a bit for some free space).

When you get to zero bytes on the root file system you are using it is hard to
do much locally, since everything wants to log, even bash wants a history, and
"rm" will fail, as will anything that forks a process (assuming you are logged
in somewhere with a root shell to start with). It may vary with file system
too, as some want to log stuff you do to clean stuff up, and you might need to
persuade it not to do that till there is a few megabytes free.

Listen to Mr Meowski, clean installs are always fun, and throwing away your
various config tweaks is a good way to discover which you really want to get
back, and which have been fixed by progress in your preferred desktop.

I switch machines so much I prefer living with vanilla whatever, but we all
have things we can't tolerate (currently Windows 10 notifications 1 hour after
I've read the email is top of my pain list, probably self inflicted in not
using a *n?x desktop for work for the first time in twenty years).