Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 07/11/2019 10:40, Giles Coochey wrote:

On 07/11/2019 09:59, Maurice lally wrote:
If the computer boots up off the linux usb stick then the problem is with the installed os, not the hardware. If it is windows, back up photos and anything else important then do a windows repair startup. If that fails, reinstall windows, or if your daughter prefers, install the superior option, linux! Don't let the computer shop talk you into paying for a hardware "fix".

Agree with this advice, only possible hardware you might actually want to buy would be a new hard disk to load a new system onto, that way you still have the old hard disk that you can put into a USB enclosure, in case you later find you had not backed up all the files.

--

Giles Coochey

By the way, wife, daughter and I all use Linux. MS Windows is not allowed here. (Last time I had anything to do with Windows was 1999.)

Since I have rescued all daughter's files, and checked, I think that I can safely install MX 19 onto the computer once it is working again. I will let it take over the whole disk. Her current distro is quite old now anyway,

Neil