Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 07/11/2019 09:59, Maurice lally wrote:
If the computer boots up off the linux usb stick then the problem is with the installed os, not the hardware. If it is windows, back up photos and anything else important then do a windows repair startup. If that fails, reinstall windows, or if your daughter prefers, install the superior option, linux! Don't let the computer shop talk you into paying for a hardware "fix".

Don't worry. This is the local shop and I have known the owner for years. I can trust him to play fair. He is going to report back before doing anything to the machine.

The computer did boot off the USB stick, which contained the files to install MX Linux 19. I could look around, and I was able to find and copy my daughters files from her home folder on to an external HD.

However, when I tried to install the new version it all went haywire. Sometimes it would accept the keyboard instructions, sometimes it just ignored them. So I will report back.

Neil