Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 06/11/19 12:15, Neil wrote:
> My daughter has just arrived with her laptop. She cannot log in as
> normal. When she tries the screen simply starts flashing on and off. At
> the moment I am running a memory test.
>
> I can upgrade her to a new distro easily enough and set up her email
> again. However there are some photos on the current distro which she
> would like to save. No backup of course, and yes I have told her, many
> times.
>
> Any suggestions please?
>
> Neil

I would probably simply unscrew the hard disk and plug into another system
via a SATA-USB bridge/enclosure and copy important files somewhere safe as
a starting point. You can likely do a disk fsck too whilst its out of the
machine...

You should be able to interrupt the boot process as others have said - the
way to do this varies wildly, and I'm only personally familiar with OpenRC
init systems and sysvinit, so I'll defer to Meowski for his wisdom there.

I have had some beautiful screen sync issues with my old Dell laptop, which
usually fix themselves after switching screen resolution several times.
This is easily done once /inside/ X, but harder outside. You should get a
sensible console login with Ctrl-Alt-[F1-F6] keystrokes on most systems
still I believe.

Those would be a few starting tips .. had you posted before, and I been
slightly more fit, we could have had a poke if you were Dojo'ing on Tuesday
as I was kinda around!

Best regards,

Michael.