Re: [LUG] Realtek network adapter RTL8821c

On 18/09/19 16:57, mr meowski wrote:
> On 17/09/2019 20:20, George Parker wrote:
>
>> Thank you sir, ever the fount of all knowledge. I'll let you know if I'm
>> successful/competent enough.
> If that was a bit cryptic or too technical here's a simplified version.
> Download the following bleeding edge kernel packages from the Ubuntu
> mainline repository (they should be fully compatible with Mint).
>
>  From here:
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/
>
> Get:
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-headers-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-image-unsigned-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb
>
> https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-modules-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb
>
> Transfer all three files via USB or whatever to the Lenovo and install
> them in one go:
>
> sudo dpkg -i /path/to/files/linux-*.deb
>
> Watch the terminal output carefully to make sure it doesn't throw any
> obvious errors or complaints. Providing it installs cleanly, reboot and
> see what happens when you boot with kernel 5.3 - it _should_ have the
> relevant modules and support to bring up the network and fix some other
> hardware/driver issues as well.
>
> Hopefully you'll find this a lot easier than the netboot+chroot method.
>
> Cheers
Kudos to meowski ... not a process I would be enamoured undertaking myself
in /debuntu/ .. although marginally less-so in Gentoo itself.

Good luck .. these wifi cards/chips are a PITA and, second to nvidia, one
of the real issues with hardware/linux driver support.

FWIW, I use a site https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Main_Page to check out
hardware and chipset/driver integration before buying - so I do recommend
anyone on list checking it out. Lots of useful info there!

MJE