Re: [LUG] Realtek network adapter RTL8821c

On 17/09/2019 16:06, George Parker wrote:
> I've just bought a Lenovo V145-15AST, cheap and cheerful which has a
> Realtek network card. Works fine in Windows on wireless and ethernet. I
> fired up a copy of Mint 19.2 and it didn't find any wireless network.
>
> No problem, I thought and plugged in an ethernet connection at which
> mint went into a sulk and refused to work at all. If I plug in the
> ethernet and boot into mint it loads OK until it normally opens the
> desktop at which it sits there with the mint logo up but nothing else
> and refuses to do anything or respond to anything. If I boot into mint,
> get to the desktop and plug in the ethernet the desktop locks up solid,
> no response. So I can't look at any log files either.
>
> Any suggestions before I go finding Wifi drivers and trying to load them
> from a usb stick?
>
> Frustrated regards, George

See here:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=297510
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=297105

TLDR: install a 5.x series kernel or fiddle with manual compile and
install of drivers. Lenovo Yogas/IdeaPads are uniquely poorly made and
badly supported by Linux (I have one that needs special attention to
boot normal Ubuntu without throwing ACPI errors so I sympathise).

If you know what you're doing the quickest way to do this and avoid the
catch 22 of not having working network access to download is boot a more
up to date but largely compatible flavour of Linux with newer software
support and a 5.x kernel - I'd use an Ubuntu 19.10 daily iso. Boot that
from USB and chroot into the existing Mint install which will give you
root on Mint with network access via the host Linux. Apt install a
suitable 5.x kernel for Mint and reboot. Upgrade the BIOS/UEFI if
applicable as the next job.

Cheers