Re: [LUG] Realtek network adapter RTL8821c

On 17/09/2019 20:20, George Parker wrote:

> Thank you sir, ever the fount of all knowledge. I'll let you know if I'm
> successful/competent enough.

If that was a bit cryptic or too technical here's a simplified version.
Download the following bleeding edge kernel packages from the Ubuntu
mainline repository (they should be fully compatible with Mint).

 From here:

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/

Get:

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-headers-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-image-unsigned-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/current/linux-modules-5.3.0-999-generic_5.3.0-999.201909180213_amd64.deb

Transfer all three files via USB or whatever to the Lenovo and install
them in one go:

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/files/linux-*.deb

Watch the terminal output carefully to make sure it doesn't throw any
obvious errors or complaints. Providing it installs cleanly, reboot and
see what happens when you boot with kernel 5.3 - it _should_ have the
relevant modules and support to bring up the network and fix some other
hardware/driver issues as well.

Hopefully you'll find this a lot easier than the netboot+chroot method.

Cheers