Re: [LUG] Re-subscription and hello.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 13:18:58 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, 8 July 2019 22:05:00 BST Jon Davey via list wrote:
> > Hi DCGLUG, I used to subscribe a fair while back. I looked through
> > some of the names and recognise some of them.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> welcome back.
>
> The usage of social media in a political group in East Devon is
> appalling. They'll post an image with meeting details on, rather than
> say an event. Think some of these are generation issues. The Labour
> party uses closed mailing lists with manual subscription, it all
> feels  bit Luddite.
>
> Free software wise I'm not see much to help out, I fear the purists
> who'd write the best replacements are also those who are probably not
> engaging on the bigger proprietary platforms.
>
> The Labour party have some central tools, but not sure how much Free
> Software has got there.
>
> https://labour.org.uk/members/activist-area/tools-for-activists/
>
> I have been touching on the security of various tools, although
> ironically have met the US Democrat's CTO and CISO, but not the
> Labour party's (at least not knowingly).
>
> Happy to bash away at security of any tools of interest if they
> present a web interface, apparently the SQLi issues I found in
> CivicRM is already three years ago, I still worry about putting
> financial data such as CivicRM can store in a website, but last I
> looked they had improved the isolation of the CivicRM database from
> the CMS databases, which I guess is a plus.
>
> TTFN
>
> Debian upgrades to do ;)

That's very interesting. I actually just got a telling-off for my
conduct on one social media platform. There were complaints, so I had to
explain that the group I was posting in was a closed members group and
as I have the data I know that nobody looks at the page anyway. I think
there was a widely held impression that if you post anywhere on the
internets you are publishing to the entire world.

I does actually look like there is a kind of ignorance about many
technologies right across the board in politics. I was talking to a guy
who's dad worked for the MOD and we laughed about those war ships
running on Windows 95 still. Funny.....but not funny. The problem is
endemic. And as has been mentioned here HMRC is locked into antiquated
proprietary software.

I will bear in mind you offer and at the first given instance offer
your services ! Thanks.

--
(sent using CLAWS mail)

All the best, as always, Jon Davey