Re: [LUG] Back to front SSH connection?

On Tuesday, 26 March 2019 18:15:29 GMT Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My brain is complete mush at the moment with the impending house move, and
> my Google Fu is being affected accordingly.

SSH Reverse tunnel?

https://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling

He can map a port (above 1024 of course) on your machine to port 22 on his
machine.  Allowing you to SSH to that port on localhost and the tunnel takes
you to his SSH server.

He typically needs an account on your end, there are various discussions on
how to limit the access needed for that account.

You need an account on his end.

You can also get clever and run a command his end to connect you to bash
directly, but passwords have their place, far less chance of messing up a
command and letting the world and his dog in if you still have to
authenticate.

There are plenty of example of setting it up to run at boot, and writing the
SSH config so you don't have to remember arcane commands if you have to ssh to
your server, and then from the server to him, you can say "for these servers
always prefix my ssh command with ssh into my server".