Re: [LUG] unifi and soho wifi controllers

On 29/10/2018 18:20, D-Tronics UK wrote:
> I currently use ubiquiti at work and home, I have some experience with
> the controller software and with there AP's. What is it you are having
> trouble with, I might be able to help

The problems are all theoretical at the moment - as in I need to buy a
whole load of new networking gear to pretty much completely replace my
current in-house infrastructure and I can't decide what to go with.
Budget isn't unlimited but isn't really capped either: this is a
permanent install that I expect to work in industrial strength mode for
the foreseeable future.

Ubiqitui look fantastic on paper _however_ I'd heard a lot of warning
rumbles even before people on list started echoing back more of the
same. Crappy patching for a start. Expensive. Vertical integration for
their own branded switch/appliance/router gear and correspondingly poor
integration with other network equipment.

But the worst bit is how difficult it is to find any meaningful
comparisons of featuresets between their hardware controllers ("Cloud
Key" and stand-alone rack mount units), the cloud-only remote management
controllers (clever but categorically out for me) and the software
controllers. I want the local self-hosted controllers (specifically I
would want the dockerized variant) only but can't seem to find any
source that will categorically delineate any differences between the
capabilities of the different types of controllers.

So in short I'm looking for people with the hardware who have tried
managing the same Ubiquiti APs via the different controller types and
what the differences and limitations are. Basically, if the software
controllers are in any way lagging in features, quality or reliability
that'll be the death knell for Ubiqitui ever making it inside my
network. I can put up with a lot of shit but not artificial market
segmentation to drive customers into using stuff that you have to cede
control for features (get enough of that from Intel).

Normally this is where I'd tell the finance bod to get me a purchase
order to buy some test kit of course. I've sort of accepted that I'm
probably going to have to just buy one each of the ~£75 APs from
Ubiquiti, Mikrotik and TP-link and test them myself. *sigh*

Cheers