Re: [LUG] unifi and soho wifi controllers

On 29/10/18 12:09, Simon Waters wrote:
> Friend working in security asked about various WiFi kit on Facebook recently
> for what looks like a revamp of his own house.
>
> One of his friends (who you'd know by name at least, and has broken enough
> stuff in his time) was very disparaging of Ubiquiti's vulnerability handling
> processes.
>
> He thought nearly all the other router vendors were way better at processing
> vulnerabilities, and suggested that the Ubiquiti's worms might have been
> because of failure to do a good job with handling vulnerabilities. Hate to do
> it as hearsay, but it wasn't a public chat.
>
> I fear depending on your paranoia, you might want to use open-source router
> software, with all the horrors entailed. Of course I have a fair idea of how
> broken my cheap router is and use it anyway, not paranoid enough....
>
> Scarily he also had enough SoHo routers to tell me which vendors were actually
> issuing patches.

I've heard very mixed things about Ubiquiti "on the grapevine".

TL;DR - if you know your stuff (which you should!) best do the homework. If
you want Good Kit, I have an associate working in 'the industry' who is a
distributor for a couple of manufacturers, although I don't have details at
present. Can find out though ...
Cheers,
Michael.