Re: [LUG] What's stopping my screensaver

On 15/10/2018 07:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Tom via list wrote:
>
>> I'm running xscreensaver and something is stopping it working. I've
>> uninstalled, reinstalled, reconfigured etc but it wont come on. So I
>> added xscreensaver-command-lock keyboard shortcut so I can set it
>> going easily. That works but after a couple of minutes the login
>> window appears even if the machine is completely untouched. So
>> something is going on that emulates a keyboard or mousemovement. Any
>> idea how I track down what it is?
>
> Unplug the mouse.
>
> My last mouse started to send random blips back when untouched and
> started to be occasionally erratic when in-use. It was some 15 year old
> though.
>
> Then do the same with keyboard if that doesn't make any difference.
>
> Then look for something calling xdotool
>
> and if all that fails, have it excorcised then destroy it with fire.
>
> Gordon

Random blips from mouse.
I had such.
 Eventually traced it to 'vibrations' from wife walking and floor
transmitting vibration to table whence to mouse.
Table acted like a drum skin to vibration.

Similar to a window  vibrating to a voice inside room and thus outside
folk can 'hear' the indoors conversation via a parabolic aerial pointed
at window.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald