Re: [LUG] What's stopping my screensaver

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Tom via list wrote:

I'm running xscreensaver and something is stopping it working. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, reconfigured etc but it wont come on. So I added xscreensaver-command-lock keyboard shortcut so I can set it going easily. That works but after a couple of minutes the login window appears even if the machine is completely untouched. So something is going on that emulates a keyboard or mousemovement. Any idea how I track down what it is?

Unplug the mouse.

My last mouse started to send random blips back when untouched and started to be occasionally erratic when in-use. It was some 15 year old though.

Then do the same with keyboard if that doesn't make any difference.

Then look for something calling xdotool

and if all that fails, have it excorcised then destroy it with fire.

Gordon