Re: [LUG] What's stopping my screensaver

On 15/10/18 03:56, Tom via list wrote:
> I'm running xscreensaver and something is stopping it working. I've
> uninstalled, reinstalled, reconfigured etc but it wont come on. So I
> added xscreensaver-command-lock keyboard shortcut so I can set it going
> easily. That works but after a couple of minutes the login window
> appears even if the machine is completely untouched. So something is
> going on that emulates a keyboard or mousemovement. Any idea how I track
> down what it is?

You're on Ubuntu right? Which "flavour"? Blame it on systemd/gnome-shell
or whatever but xscreensaver is a pig to get working these days. There
are a lot of other built-in power saving tools, Ubuntu's preference for
screen blanking and that annoying screen guard thingy you have to
'swipe' like a phone... You'll have to completely track down everything
related to screen locking and blanking and kill it off first and then
try to get the old xscreensaver style functionality working.

I tried to do this just a while ago on my 18.04 box and realised quickly
it was a mistake. I kept the default gnome-shell behaviour in the end
once I accepted that it was actually doing a better job anyway although
I did have to define my own lock-the-screen shortcut for some reason.

Cheers