Re: [LUG] Upgrade bitch of the day.

On 07/09/18 14:17, mr meowski wrote:
On 07/09/18 14:02, Tom via list wro
Like others I'm upgrading my *ununtu machines. Why oh why do they make
documentation a necessary part of some dev packages? I just want the
headers and libs almost all of the time so I can use them in someone
elses project.

396Mb of texlive-latex-extra-doc at the moment. I've got 9 gig to come
down for this upgrade and I reckon 6 of it is .doc files I will never read!

Tom te tom te tom

Pass --no-install-recommends to apt or just manually uninstall the
desired packages afterwards - tex does pull in a lot of stuff (but then
those files do contain a lot of extra assets like fonts, etc as well).

In your case you'd probably want to purge the file first to avoid your
system pulling them in the first place: I imagine it's not so much the
size of the packages themselves, it's downloading them all on a slow
line which is the problem.

So is everyone upgrading to 18.04 then? We're still a month too early
for 18.10 so I guess so.

Cheers

I tend to use LTS and the upgrade from 16.04LTS only announced itself this week on 16.04 machines. You could upgrade to 18.04 when it came out but LTS machines normally wait until xx.04.01 which is the official LTS upgrade and gives LTS a good chance of being an LTS!

Tom te tom te tom