Re: [LUG] Upgrade bitch of the day.

On 07/09/18 14:02, Tom via list wrote:
> Like others I'm upgrading my *ununtu machines. Why oh why do they make
> documentation a necessary part of some dev packages? I just want the
> headers and libs almost all of the time so I can use them in someone
> elses project.
>
> 396Mb of texlive-latex-extra-doc at the moment. I've got 9 gig to come
> down for this upgrade and I reckon 6 of it is .doc files I will never read!
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Pass --no-install-recommends to apt or just manually uninstall the
desired packages afterwards - tex does pull in a lot of stuff (but then
those files do contain a lot of extra assets like fonts, etc as well).

In your case you'd probably want to purge the file first to avoid your
system pulling them in the first place: I imagine it's not so much the
size of the packages themselves, it's downloading them all on a slow
line which is the problem.

So is everyone upgrading to 18.04 then? We're still a month too early
for 18.10 so I guess so.

Cheers