Re: [LUG] 20180906 Ubuntu variants. Dell D430. Normal and recovery start up

On 07/09/18 15:06, mr meowski wrote:
> If you recovery boot and then choose "continue normal boot" it's not
> unheard of for an unwell system that otherwise won't boot cleanly to
> miraculously somehow drag itself up to a working GUI. This is because
> the operating system has taken a different route to starting up it's
> services and dependencies compared to a standard boot, for want of a
> better phrase.

This is exactly what happened on the old Dell (originally a WinXP
machine). I checked other options in choices list during tests, but
found 'recovery boot , continue normal boot' worked well on all
occasions. This surprised me.
Thank you for erudite explanation.
I then shifted machine to Xubuntu  as old Dell is used by a non-computer
knowledgeable person, just to 'browse  read, prepare documents', she
transfers LibreOffice docs to a USB key for her classes.
 I needed it to start every time for her 'Quietly and without scrolling
lines', as that would 'frighten the old lady!'

Thanks very much for your comments.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald