[LUG] 20180906 Ubuntu variants. Dell D430. Normal and recovery start up

Dear Folk.
20180907
20180906 Ubuntu variants. Dell D430. Normal and recovery start up.

What is difference between a 'normal start of Ubuntu 18.04' and
'recovery start of Ubuntu 18.04'? Ubuntu default windows manager/display.
I assume recovery start (boot up) does two things:
a) It displays the load process line by line  (not done in 'silent
normal start')
b) It does not load some items, but what ones?
What is the real change?

Machine is a Dell Latitude D430 with
2Gb RAM, Intel Core 2 U7600, 1.2 GHz
[Boots Knoppix 8.2 USB key OK]

Reason to ask.
One of our Warrington U3A computer group old computers, a Dell D430,
(Windows XP then Vista)  was reloaded with Ubuntu 16.04 for a person's
use for browsing and copy of websites to Libreoffice for their notes for
a literary group. This has worked very well.

I recently last week tried to upgrade the machine to Ubuntu 18.04.
Upgrade was done, however it would not start in a normal start, locked
and stayed static for a long time, and did not load.
It did start in a recovery version start up choice and worked well with
normal Ubuntu '(brownish) Beaver  display environment'

I assumed a download error in update and re-tried 4 times but this load
only from recovery menu was consistent. No completion of boot from
normal start or boot but always OK from recovery booting.

I replaced Ubuntu 18.04 by Xubuntu 18.04 and find it works well and
starts normally.

I understand the Xubuntu folk use a mixture of XFCE and Gnome in this
version and it works well.

What in normal Ubuntu desktop environment would cause the problem I saw?
Any thoughts?

--
regards
Eion MacDonald