Re: [LUG] Encrypting files for Apple

> On 20 Feb 2018, at 17:23, mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Can I be the one to say: "BAD APPLE".

;)

Canât just blame QA. Apple take a pretty robust free software base, but it is clear
what they are adding on top is getting less scrutiny at an engineering level.

You can test to find silly mistakes, especially in small deltas, but with big
changes you need to ensure the processes are there throughout the lifecycle. Though
we hope they have some âreject releaseâ threshold.

Whatâs scary is APFS was pushed on upgrade, Apple could have bumped that decision a
point release or two with minimal (+ve?) impact. APFS hadnât had long to mature in
filesystem terms. Do the time machine enhancements need APFS I wonder - although
that mostly broke the AV âexclude time machineâ feature for me...

That said what are most businesses going to do? No one will want to go to Chrome OS
or Windows 10 (well with my Security hat on Iâd move us to Chrome OS in the drop of
a hat but for pesky users wanting their regular software) from OS X, even with these
bugs. Much as I love GNU/Linux I canât honestly say the desktop is keeping up on
Security terribly well (although there are some commercial small footprint desktop
distros we see in some more security conscious projects, but again I donât think
most organisations are prepared to make that sort of trade off, although maybe some
financial and regulatory bodies might be getting to that decision, maybe even bits
of healthcare if we continue into everything in a browser mentality. Kai was the
thought leader, who knew ;)