Re: [LUG] Encrypting files for Apple

On 20/02/18 16:34, Simon Waters wrote:
> mr meowski wrote:
>>
>> And that disk image can be FileVaulted if required? You'll need a Mac at
>> your end as well to do this but you can stuff all the things you want
>> into a sparse FileVaulted image, detach it and send it as usual. He can
>> attach+decrypt the dmg at the other end. Hang on, there must be an easy
>> 1-2-3 tutorial for this somewhere out there...
>
> On coincidentally finding things that don't work yesterday...
>
> Sparse HFS filesystems by preference.
>
> https://bombich.com/blog/2018/02/15/macos-may-lose-data-on-apfs-formatted-disk-images
>
> Although the number of people making sparse APFS images outside of Mac
> backup tools must be small to none, still surprised this bug exists at
> all, never mind how bad the details are.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that yet. Wow, Apple QA are really on
a roll at the moment aren't they? This is on top of what 4 or 5 *really*
critical bugs in just the last couple of months? Yikes. No wonder the
word out of Cupertino is that 10.14 is going to be a
no-features-all-bug-squashing release again.

Can I be the one to say: "BAD APPLE".

I've just returned a client's Mini completely rebuilt with 10.13 and
debated with myself over APFS vs HFS - eventually went APFS for the
FileVaulted system SSD only where it was a natural fit. Everything else
from his multiple TimeMachines to encrypted USB drives I explicitly
decided to keep old school HFS+ for now "just to be on the safe side". I
mean generally speaking I trust OS providers not to mess up their own
brand new flagship filesystems but well you know, not my data, better
safe than sorry, etc, etc.

Didn't expect that decision to pay off so quickly :|

Cheers