Re: [LUG] Encrypting files for Apple

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> I can use 7z to create AES encrypted zip files for Windows (important
> given
> GDPR), that is if clients have Windows 10 or Windows 7
>
> What about apple products? Does anyone have any idea how I can encrypt a
> file I send to an apple user and have the client be able to open it
> without
> the client downloading software?

I have a nearly vanilla (recently reinstalled) test Mac.

Output of:
$ type openssl
$ type tar

Suggests the obvious Linux command line approach would work.

Although the OpenSSL version string he says LibreSSL.

Seriously though, I'd just mandate GPGtools, and use GPG. You'll have a
GUI, services, sensible default crypto, key management tool etc. They lag
a little behind Mac releases sometimes.

Also you'll use sensible key lengths, and your lovingly encrypted files
won't just spew their contents to a key brute force because users thinks
"Rainbow1" is a strong password.