Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 21/01/18 12:00, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2018 11:54, "Neil" <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Recently I met a newcomer to this area who turned out to be a Linux
>     user. He told me that he carries round a USB stick with a live
>     version on Linux on it so that he can demonstrate it to anyone who
>     asks about it.
>
>     This got me thinking. I read recently that Linux has about 3% of the
>     desktop usage now, which seems very low. Yet how do we help to
>     increase that? I know that if someone came up to me to ask me if
>     would be willing to teach them to use Linux, I would be a bit
>     baffled and worried. Where would I start?
>
>     There are so many questions. A new computer, an old one, dual boot?
>     Which distro? Should I install Linux first for them or should that
>     be part of the learning process? That is just for starters.
>
>     I believe that some members of the list are keen about getting more
>     people across to the Linux world. So I am asking, does anyone have
>     any experience in this area? Any pointers, suggestions please?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Neil
>
>     --
>

> It is a bit of a minefield, but ultimately it comes down to whether you
> would be looking at 1-to-1 "training" or group sessions of some sort.
> The former could be very much tailored to the individual, their needs
> and their equipment. Group sessions would, necessarily, have to be more
> structured and limited in scope. Certainly I - as an IT trainer -
> wouldn't want to run a group training session where everyone is on
> totally different kit, using different distros for different reasons.
>
> Grant

Carry a demo USB key (I use Knoppix) it is good practice.

I do this very often, and have put about 7 ~9 folk on Linux distros.
Of these 4 have changed over to Linux for main use.
History: as I travelled in COMECON/China, before laptops became popular
and I usually needed to write instructions etc. for the oil company I
was visiting on 'their computer', usually an illegal imported IBM
machine [USA forbade export to these regions]; I used a one or two
floppy set of 'Knoppix' to get a UK keyboard and English writing word
processor on their machine as a 'Live Linux'.

Since then I always have carried USB sticks with Knoppix and OpenSUSE
on my person, and can demonstrate these on older hardware easily. Very
few modern users want it, but then I work from DVD Ubuntu.

I do 1-to-1 tuition to guide them into Linux and usually use an XFCE or
Xubuntu or Ubuntu if their machine has enough RAM/CPU to do a full
system. However I start them off  on a USB stick with /boot
for GRUB on stick.
For new folk, Ubuntu has at least some published help in 'magazine
handbook' available from TESCO etc, and a hand book helps adoption.

I also use OpenSUSE on my main computer (Windows 10 installed*) from a
128Gb USB as my main OS.
This saves to a variety of USB data keys depending on use. e.g. personal
/ U3A tuition (computers for seniors) / foreign (PRC, ROC, I----, etc)
   * Win 10. Kept due to legacy software for my company not
re-installable now on a new machine or a Linux OS

--
regards
Eion MacDonald