Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 21/01/18 12:57, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 21/01/18 12:00, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

It is a bit of a minefield, but ultimately it comes down to whether you
would be looking at 1-to-1 "training" or group sessions of some sort.
The former could be very much tailored to the individual, their needs
and their equipment. Group sessions would, necessarily, have to be more
structured and limited in scope. Certainly I - as an IT trainer -
wouldn't want to run a group training session where everyone is on
totally different kit, using different distros for different reasons.

Grant

Carry a demo USB key (I use Knoppix) it is good practice.

I do this very often, and have put about 7 ~9 folk on Linux distros.
Of these 4 have changed over to Linux for main use.
History: as I travelled in COMECON/China, before laptops became popular
and I usually needed to write instructions etc. for the oil company I
was visiting on 'their computer', usually an illegal imported IBM
machine [USA forbade export to these regions]; I used a one or two
floppy set of 'Knoppix' to get a UK keyboard and English writing word
processor on their machine as a 'Live Linux'.

Since then I always have carried USB sticks with Knoppix and OpenSUSE
on my person, and can demonstrate these on older hardware easily. Very
few modern users want it, but then I work from DVD Ubuntu.

I do 1-to-1 tuition to guide them into Linux and usually use an XFCE or
Xubuntu or Ubuntu if their machine has enough RAM/CPU to do a full
system. However I start them off  on a USB stick with /boot
for GRUB on stick.
For new folk, Ubuntu has at least some published help in 'magazine
handbook' available from TESCO etc, and a hand book helps adoption.

I also use OpenSUSE on my main computer (Windows 10 installed*) from a
128Gb USB as my main OS.
This saves to a variety of USB data keys depending on use. e.g. personal
/ U3A tuition (computers for seniors) / foreign (PRC, ROC, I----, etc)
    * Win 10. Kept due to legacy software for my company not
re-installable now on a new machine or a Linux OS

Thanks for that. I will try to set up a USB stick with Linux Lite live on it, or failing that Xubuntu. I have been recommended a program called etcher for this. I have already downloaded it. The one snag that I can see is that some machines don't have USB at the top of their logon list.

Neil