Re: [LUG] Linux Training

On 21/01/18 11:52, Neil wrote:
> Recently I met a newcomer to this area who turned out to be a Linux
> user. He told me that he carries round a USB stick with a live version
> on Linux on it so that he can demonstrate it to anyone who asks about it.
>
> This got me thinking. I read recently that Linux has about 3% of the
> desktop usage now, which seems very low. Yet how do we help to
> increase that? I know that if someone came up to me to ask me if would
> be willing to teach them to use Linux, I would be a bit baffled and
> worried. Where would I start?
>
> There are so many questions. A new computer, an old one, dual boot?
> Which distro? Should I install Linux first for them or should that be
> part of the learning process? That is just for starters.
>
> I believe that some members of the list are keen about getting more
> people across to the Linux world. So I am asking, does anyone have any
> experience in this area? Any pointers, suggestions please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Hi Neil

I wonder if this 3% includes raspberry Pi users,ÂÂ and in a way if it
also included phone adn tablet users (android) you may find the usage
shoots up considerably.

There are lots of websites out there that offer tutorials, short
courses etc, so lets not re-invent the wheel on this. Use what is
already out there, I am in fact just collating a list of related sites
now, not just learning Linux but programming languages too, I added up
the number of hours codecademy do on Javascript and related technologies
such as angular, react and it totals 71 hours of learning.

We need to identify what people would like help with, if the are put
off getting a pi due to it running Linux which they are not familiar
with,ÂÂ then maybe we need to address that,ÂÂ however children are able
to pick up a pi, plug it together and get on with learning coding, So
if the barrier is the parents, then we need to address that, but we
do with Pi jams and tech jams.

Lets also look at what skills are needed locally,ÂÂ Linux is a kernel,Â
so the skill sets are with what runs on Linux, e.g programming
languages, web frameworks, container frameworks, you can learn
with various virtual hosting providers. I am sure the people at
software cornwall can help with this.

Even given codecademy which is a self paced learning there is a forum,Â
sometimes that is not enough, Â people need to sit down with someone and
ask for help, Â usually codecademy gives you the correct code if you
seen to get stuck, going further can be rather lonely, so as a
community can we address this,ÂÂ we aleady have various meets in the
area, lug meets, tech / pi jams so if people need help with learning
provide a space for that.

I found a website for popup college,ÂÂ so they set up learning
opportunities in costa coffee after closing time, while these are tutor
led, (and cost money) what could be offered by this community (if you
are suggesting this), is a meet up during certain hours where you just
meet with other learners or people who are familiar with what people are
learning,

https://thisis.popupcollege.co.uk/

The fact this exists works to our advantage (or could be made to) as we
won't have to go through the motions of explaining what we want to do,ÂÂ
we say it is similar to popup college but for more casual learners.

however i don't want courses, as i am studying online,  it would be
nice to meet up with other learners to discuss specific issues or just
meet other learners .Â

So lets not just concentrate on getting pepple onto Linux so much but
get coding out there as a normal activity, but one where the support IS
there for people,ÂÂ

hope this helps, happy to discuss this further, if we are going to
make it work it will take time, effort and certainly good promotion.

Paul

Torbay Tech Jam - 2nd Saturday of the Month at Paignton Library